Doug Llewellyn (@DougLlewellyn) is President & Chief Operating Officer, at Purch. He is responsible for the company’s three core business units, strategic planning, corporate development activities, and Purch’s business metrics and operational framework.
In this episode, Doug discusses how different web properties at Purch serve audiences with content and information enabling better and more informed purchase decisions around IT products and services. Purch owns and operates several properties like Toms Hardware, Toms IT Pro, Business.com and Space.com. Doug explains how Purch enables its marketing customers to reach intent based buyers and how he seeks to optimize customer content and increase the lifetime value of a member. Later on, Doug talks about what metrics he reads and how they help him make data-driven decisions and measure engagement scores. Doug concludes the conversation summarizing why digital marketing is so complicated and speculates on how it will evolve at faster rates.
Doug’s member engagement score metrics:
- Where did a member come from?
- What content did they engage with?
- What purchase did they make?
- Have they come back?
- Are they engaging with email?
- Are they taking advantage of coupons?
Questions for During Podcast
- What does Purch do?
- What do you consider the biggest challenge for CMOs today?
- How do you deal with the fragmented problems and how do you advise your customers to deal with the same challenges?
- What do you read at Purch to make data driven marketing decisions?
- Do you have a name for a super user?
- What is your approach to market research?
- How do you see digital marketing or digital experiences evolving?
- What reports or data points or KPIs do you monitor in order to optimize?
- Do you look at your metrics per property or all together?
- Do the web properties have different infrastructures?
- How does your team manage all of the different properties?
- What can brands learn from emerging disruptive brands?
- What is your most proud accomplishment?
- Who or what do you listen to or read to get inspiration?
- If you didn’t have any responsibilities at home or work next week what would you do with your time?
Links and Mentions
Twitter – @DougLlewellyn