Lydia Fayal is an expert on streamlining on-line business strategies. She has a unique background for marketing. She first attended Penn Law and Wharton before starting her own business. She then founded a venture-backed edtech startup and became an expert marketer at both B2C and B2B startups. She’s currently at OneSignal, a SaaS company that powers customer engagement for over half a million developers.
Topics Covered During Podcast
Converting customers is on the initial visit is increasingly difficult. Marketers rely on all types of technology to encourage visitors to return. How has this evolve and where do you think it is going?
Only 2% of traffic converts in an initial visit. To convert the other 98% you have three options: retargeting ads, remarketing emails, and web push notifications.
Website visitors who are remarketed are 70% more likely to convert.
Retargeted ads can surprise customers and create a creepy experience. This, combined with ad blockers, make retargeting less effective when it comes to driving reengagement.
Web browser companies are further complicating the matter. Earlier this year, Google added a built-in ad blocker to the latest update of Chrome, automatically blocking ads on pages that are particularly distracting.
Last month, Apple added Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP 2) to the newest version of Safari (the majority of US traffic is on Safari). This means that when a visitor abandons their cart, you can’t rely on retargeted ads on other websites to get them back.
Questions During Podcast
- How long have you been marketing mobile products?
- What does OneSignal do?
- How has the push notification evolved?
- What is the psychology of the push notification?
- Do you have statistics on how well mobile reengagement works?
- How often do you have to make changes to your solution as new versions of operating systems and browsers are released?
- How does an Alexa push notification work?
- What are your thoughts on ad blockers?
- If you had to pick one retargeting method, what would you pick and why?
- What do you think is the biggest challenge is for traffic generation marketers?
- Out of your 500,000 developers, how many segments do you use to target them?
- What is the best buyer persona you have ever seen?
- Do you look at social media profiles to target your personas?
- Do you have a story of how you obtained a branded case study that you previously thought was impossible?
- Who or what do you listen to or read to get inspiration?
- If you didn’t have any responsibilities at home or work next week what would you do with your time?
- Closing thoughts?
Links and Mentions
- Lee Monroe
- Masters of Scale podcast
- How I Built This podcast
- Lauren Vaccarello
- Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits – Debbie Millman
- James Altucher podcast
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lydiafayal/