Justin Foster (@fosterthinking) and Emily Soccorsy (@emilyatlarge) operate Root and River. Root and River is a contemporary branding practice that finds a leader’s branding mission and enables the machine to spread the word.
In this episode, Justin and Emily talk about how to find and define your mission. We discuss how to attract the right customers and repel the rest. They talk to me about my brand and dozens of tips you can implement for yourself or for your company. This episode is full of outstanding advice and quotes.
80% of the time a leader doesn’t know what their personal mission is.
The biggest challenge is to identify your personal mission.
Many leaders are detached from their own identities.
Don’t overly define your mission based on your audience.
Branding is as much as about repulsion as it is about attraction.
You can’t focus group your mission.
A contemporary brand is a combination of culture, customer experience and Innovation.
Questions During Podcast
- How do you find a leaders spirit?
- If you are supposed to find a leaders mission, how do you describe your own mission?
- What do you consider the biggest challenge for brands today?
- How do you create a 21st century brand?
- What is the difference between a rebrand and a relaunch?
- What is your favorite brand? Why?
- Which brands miss the mark?
- What would you advise that I do with my brand?
- What do people ask your advice on other than branding? Are you an expert at anything else?
- If you didn’t have any responsibilities at home or work next week what would you do with your time?
- Closing thoughts?
Links and Mentions
- Ritz Carlton
- Taylor Swift
- Southwest Airlines
- Democratic Party
- Republican Party
- The Way of the Seal
- Tim Ferriss