Ulli Appelbaum ( @FirstThetrouser ) is an international marketing and brand strategist. He is an expert in coming up with fresh perspectives to position a brands, products and companies. Ulli has developed a strategy exercise into a technique he calls Positioning-Roulette. Positioning-Roulette is a culmination of 1200 case studies provided as 26 flash cards. The flash cards promote creative thinking and facilitate a conversation from various perspectives.
In this episode, Ulli talks to me about creative thinking, branding and biases and limits we place on ourselves when looking looking at brands, reading news and interacting with services and brands.
Questions During Podcast
- What is Positioning-Roulette?
- Where dis the 1200 case studies come from?
- What is some of the feedback resulting from the roulette exercise?
- Why aren’t business people more creative and what can they do about it?
- What can brands learn from successful marketers?
- What was one of your most successful campaigns? Why was it successful?
- Describe a time when a project you were overseeing did not go well?
- What did you learn from that and how do you avoid that from happening again?
- Who or what do you listen to or read to get inspiration?
- What do people ask your advice on?
- Closing thoughts?