Vineet Mehra has just undertaken the job of a lifetime. Well, lots of lifetimes because at Ancestry they are in the business of documenting our lifetimes and telling us how close we really are to each other.
In this episode, Vineet describes in great detail what makes great brands and explains how the culture at Ancestry impacts and strengthens the brand with consumers. He goes on to point out that our past and the people that influenced us as we honed our marketing skills create the sum of what makes us who we are. Great leaders will take the sum of all of these skills to assemble teams that market with a purpose.
Vineet closes by describing what influence CMOs have today and where they may evolve in 2-5 years. Great CMOs will need outstanding customer insight and the ability to drive content to feed demand. They will also need to be current on technology as marketing technology budgets rival that of CIOs. But most of all CMOs need to be authentic leaders and help sustain a culture to retain the brand and resources.
Questions During Episode
- What have you done since you have started?
- How has the company culture influenced the brand?
- How will your brand evolve?
- Is there a “North Star” steering the marketing strategy?
- In a year what will your performance look like?
- Are you a top, middle or bottom funnel CMO?
- How will your team change in a year’s time?
- Is there a certain skill you are excited to bring to the job?
- How did the creative integration opportunity arise?
- What are you going to bring what you learned from a mentor?
- What role will the CMO have in 5 years?
- What advice would you like to offer?
LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/vineetmehra1/
Vineet Mehra is Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Ancestry. He has held leadership positions at some of the world’s best brands – building companies such as Novartis Consumer Health, General Mills, and Procter & Gamble and has led diverse teams across Asia, Europe, North America and South America. Most recently, as Global President of Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Care business, he was tasked with leading a worldwide team driving to re-invent their portfolio of baby brands to reinvigorate growth. He is a frequent speaker and panelist on the topics of shaping modern marketing organization, balancing the art and science of marketing, and data-driven marketing. Vineet has been a Judge and Speaker at Cannes, jury chair for the M&M Global Media Awards, and finalist judge for the Global Effie Awards. Most recently, he was recognized as one of the 100 most influential marketing leaders in the world. Vineet holds a degree from Wilfrid Laurier University in Canada.