Adam Pierno (@apierno) is a thinker, tinkerer and Chief Strategy Officer for Santy. His experience and cross-platform thinking led his leaders to task him with mentoring up and coming industry talents. He was to deliver the same marketing training he received. Therein lies the problem. Adam is self-taught. He didn’t receive formal marketing planning or strategy training. Adam is a senior marketer like many of us and evolved with the internet as it emerged into the communication platform it is today.
In this episode, Adam talks about his search for marketing sources in order to mentor his agency staff. He describes finding materials full of jargon and not fit for the rubbish pile that eventually led him to pen his first book, “Under Think It.” “Under Think It” delves into the foundational aspects of marketing strategy and is a foundational piece for any marketing planner. Outside of work, Adam enjoys relaxing with his wife and kids, and claims to generate his best ideas while running and listening to podcasts.
Questions During Podcast
- Why did you write Under Think it?
- Why do marketers hide behind jargon and unclear language?
- What is the problem we are trying to solve?
- What does success look like?
- What are the constraints?
- What birthed the case study?
- Is influencer marketing the same as paid media?
- Where do brands not spend enough time on among brand foundation, customer personas, and campaigns?
- How would you advise a CMO to measure a customer journey?
- How do you see digital marketing or digital experiences evolving?
- Who or what do you listen to, watch or read to get inspiration?
- If you didn’t have any responsibilities at home or work next week what would you do with your time?
- Closing thoughts?
Links and Mentions
- Julian Cole
- The Goal
- The Phoenix Project
- Thinking Fast and Slow
- Roy Barnes
- Reply All
- The Moment
- The Ringer
- Ain’t it Cool
- Ars Technica