Thomas Barta (@ThomasBarta) has consulted and marketed for over 20 years, in 14 industries, in 45 countries. A former McKinsey partner, Thomas conducts leadership research—including the world’s largest study, with over 68,000 executive assessments—on what makes for an impactful CMO. His clients include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including over two dozen from the Fortune 500.
He and Patrick Barwise recently authored The 12 Powers of a Marketing Leader. During this episode, Thomas and I talk about his research of over 1200 CMOs and the conclusions formulating the 12 powers in the book and how to become a marketing leader.
Questions During Episode
- What is your background and how did you get here?
- Why do you think marketers aren’t perceived as being an important part of the business?
- How long did it take to interview 1230 CMOs?
- Are the respondents geographically diverse?
- What did you expect to see from the survey data?
- What conclusions surprised you about the survey data?
- What are some of the activities marketers were performing outside of the value creation zone?
- What examples can you provide when a marketer influenced the C-Suite?
- Did you find C-Suite access an issue for marketers?
- What did the customer portion of the value creation zone contain?
- Where can we find the book?