Margaret Molloy (@MargaretMolloy) is the global chief marketing officer at Siegel+Gale, a renowned strategic branding and design firm. She oversees new business, sales and marketing and is one of the most visible CMOs on social media.
In this episode, Margaret and I talk about how branding has evolved from words and pictures to managing experiences. Brands no longer control the story but can influence the conversation by shifting focus to influencers. She then talks about how complexity is the most difficult thing for CMOs to handle and how successful marketers are simplifying their businesses and customer journeys to prioritize effectively. Margaret then offers six questions to determine if your brand is simple or complex so you can prioritize effectively when gaining new customers.
How to determine if your organization is Simple or complex
- Is senior leadership committed to a simpler customer experience?
- Does every employee know what the brand purpose is and can they articulate it?
- Have we made innovation at our company as simple as possible?
- Are our marketing messages in sync with the customer experience?
- Do we understand the customer’s complete journey and offer simplicity at every stage?
- Are we focusing on being useful?
Questions During Episode
- What do you consider the biggest challenge for CMOs today?
- How do executive teams need to address these challenges?
- Siegel+Gale has been around for almost 50 years, how has the world of branding evolved?
- What is your approach to market research?
- What are the top takeaways from your 2017 Global Brand Simplicity Index?
- What can brands learn from emerging disruptive brands?
- What was one of your most successful campaigns?
- What made it effective and how did you measure that?
- What is your most proud accomplishment?
- Describe a time when a project you were overseeing did not go well?
- What did you learn from that and how do you avoid that from happening again?
- What does social media mean to you?
- How do you prefer people contact you?
- What do you do for fun in your free time?
Links and Mentions