Facebook notoriously will change the default setting on the platform. The default setting always work in their favor. One recent change is how they treat videos. Facebook touted video plays increased significantly in the past. The rate of increase enables them to charge advertisers a premium and move them from YouTube. The rate of increase wasn’t that people really enjoyed all of the videos on Facebook. The rate of increase stemmed from them changing the default setting to Autoplay = On.
The autoplay default is also causing your data consumption to increase. If you have a limited data plan, you should change the defaults to save your data and your battery.
Here is how to turn it off.
1. Go to the bottom of your Facebook app and hit the three bars at the bottom right to get to the menu.
2. Touch “Settings” to get to the settings page.
4. Touch “Autoplay Never Autoplay…”
5. Notice the default “On Mobile Data and Wi-Fi”
6. Change the default to WiFi only or “Never Autoplay Videos.”